Friday, February 28, 2014

Quick Write- February 24th, 2014

February 24th, 2014

I would say that throughout my lifetime I have failed many times. One time that stood out to me the most was about 5 years ago. I was 12 years old and I was auditioning for LaGuardia High School for the Arts. I was trying to get into their dance program, however I wanted to get into hip-hop; their dance audition was ballet. I have danced ballet before, but it wasn't my forte and I didn't like it that much. All the other girls in their had super advanced training in Ballet and/or were still taking the classes that they had started since they were born. I, on the other hand, am a hip-hop dancer who knows just the fundamentals of ballet. When it was my turn to go, I totally blew the audition. My training was rusty and I didn't have the super anorexic form that most ballet dancers are required to have, so that affected my posture. I went into the locker room trying to contain my one or two tears that were trying to emerge from my eyes and I was doing a good job at it too. Then this one little girl stared at me for a second and then said, "Are you seriously crying right now?" That is when I completely started balling. I knew at that point that I had failed. It killed me inside because I knew that I was a good dancer and I loved to dance. That is all that I wanted to do growing up, but because my style of dancing was different from theirs I had to give up my dream? My reaction to my failure was complete and utter sadness and pain. I was emotionally hurt for a few months, but I grew up and learned about the different dance possibilities that I can explore. I took dance for years and became good at it. I grew to know that dance goes way beyond LaGuardia High School.

1 comment:

  1. You made a great connection. It's a terrific example of fix mindset. You have a very natural writing voice. I think you meant to say you were "bawling."

    ReplyDelete